August 14, 2009

Young Hearts

With so many friends and family turning 30 lately, I can’t help but think how I will react when the day comes. It seems that the big 3-0 (read: “three-oh”) is cause for anxiety for many. Having experienced a quarter-life crisis myself, I can certainly see why people may be fearful. I can’t say now how I will greet this day in 2… er, 1 ½ years, but as of right now I am kind of looking forward to it. (Not that I haven’t had an awesome time in my 20s, because I have. Besides, they’re not over yet, so I will save my I-loved-my-20s highlights for another post).
There are so many wonderful things I look forward to in my 30s like having sweet little babies, embarking on a new career, buying a new house (please Mr. Economy, I want a new backyard), and learning new and fabulous things. I have learned some great lessons at a young age and for that I am oh-so-grateful. Here are some life lessons (learned the hard way) that come to mind and it only makes me wonder what is in store for the next 10 years (after the next 2 years… er, 1 ½ years, of course):
Never help someone who WON’T help himself/herself.
Note: This says WON’T not CAN’T. This mostly pertains to dating losers.
ALWAYS trust your instincts.
Note: I am still learning this one…
Never sacrifice yourself for someone else.
Note: I am not talking about sacrificing yourself for your children or anything like that. Again, this mostly pertains to dating losers, but it is applicable to other realms of life.
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER chase after a man or a woman.
Note: The story of unrequited love. I think we all learned this one the hard way. Honestly, they should just teach it in high school. Read He’s Just Not That Into You. The information contained in the book is golden. There are so many fish in the sea that it is not even funny.
“Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth.” – Mary Schmich
Note: My mom says this all of the time, but I am just now starting to believe it.
need


That birthday cake already looks like it is on fire...

What are some great lessons that you have learned along the way?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...