December 1, 2011

5 Clomids To Go, Please

After weighing the pros and cons of the various infertility options available, it made sense for us to begin with a lower level of intervention. We, and by we I mean I, decided to try Clomid. We're taking baby steps (no pun intended), so it's straight Clomid this cycle. No IUI or any other BS. What? It's not like we're in a hurry or anything.

If you're hip to the infertility scene then you know there's a lot of discussion about Clomid side effects: headache, mood swings, cancer... fun stuff. In fact, when we first met with our fertility doctor I asked about the correlation between the hormones used with infertility treatments and cancer. He essentially said that the recent study linking the two was a crock of shit. If anything, he said, I should be worried about Clomid. Oh joy!

But, like I said, we're starting with a treatment plan that makes the most sense for us right now. So Clomid it is!

Before I could begin Clomid I had to have a baseline ultrasound to see what I was working with and to ensure that the previously-never-blogged-about cyst on one of my ovaries was gone (cysts are completely normal, mom!). So on Monday I hopped on over to the doctor's office during my lunch break for a quick look at the ol' vag. You know, just your typical lunch break.

The cyst was gone and so there was nothing left to do but start popping Clomid.

Man, the side effects are awesome. At least they are on paper. I especially enjoyed reading the pharmaceutical leaflet that came with my prescription. Side effects may include: upset stomach; bloating; abdominal/pelvic fullness; hot flashes; breast tenderness; headache; dizziness; possible vision changes that may or may not be permanent; abnormal vaginal bleeding; mental/mood changes; ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS) which can lead to fluid build up in the stomach, chest, and heart area so, hey, let someone know if you have severe pain/swelling in the lower abdomen, sudden/rapid weight gain, nausea/vomiting, diarrhea, shortness of breath, change in the amount of urine, pain/redness/swelling of the legs, chest pain, and/or fast/irregular heartbeat; and/or serious allergic reaction. And the kicker is that these side effects may not even occur until after treatment has been stopped. Fun!  

3 comments:

  1. Whoops! Mental. Not Metal. My bad :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you don't get any of those side effects. I have a good feeling about this for you and Nick. Maybe we are going to get twins. Love you most:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...