May 29, 2012

Red Velvet, Schmed Schmelvet

I have a confession. I hope you don't hold it against me.

Red velvet? Yeah, I just don't get it. It doesn't really taste like anything. 

We had a BBQ today at work and someone brought red velvet cake. Everyone was like "ooooohhhh" and "yum" and "red velvet cake is so good." I gave it a go to be a good sport. Just like every other time before, though - nothing. I think my taste buds are deficient in being able to recognize what everyone else so lovingly lusts after. What is this flavor that we call red velvet?!?

red velvet

Photo: Source

I know people think I am weird for loving such exotic flavors as banana, coconut and lemon. But I believe in equal opportunity. So, people, please tell me: what is it about red velvet?  

6 comments:

  1. It's definitely a delicately-flavored cake, that I will give you. But it has the flavors I like most: it's a buttermilk cake, with a bit of cocoa. The frosting is what gets me, though: cream cheese. I don't acknowledge any so-called "red velvet cake" with, say, a freaking white chocolate frosting. What the hell is that? That's not chocolate, first of all. It's white weirdness, and I WON'T STAND FOR IT.

    Excuse me.

    Anyway, I do find red velvet cake to have a more dynamic flavor than other cakes. Except there is this cupcake place in our old neighborhood (we moved) called Cupcake Royale, and they make two OTHER kinds of cupcakes that make me freak the frack out: "Royale with Cheese", which is a chocolate cupcake with cream cheese frosting (can you tell I like cream cheese frosting?) and "Salted Caramel", which is a chocolate cupcake with salted caramel frosting. Woah. So good.

    Dang, Cupcake Royale closed 10 minutes ago. There's always tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicately-flavored... I like that. I'll have to try again with the red velvet. Only if it has cream cheese frosting, though ;) I love cream cheese frosting, too. Yum, yum, yum. If you like salted caramel, you'll need to try the salted caramel macaroon from Ginger Elizabeth's downtown (when you're in Sac). Sheri, words cannot describe. Then, when I am in Seattle, I will try Cupcake Royale :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A salted caramel macaroon?! Sacramento, you're outdooing yourself! I heard from my aunt that there's some place downtown that makes SWEET POTATO TATER TOTS.

    Mmmmmblarghmmmmmmmdrool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dont get it either, we must be defective!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought it was a cherry chocolate mix, but then I realized that is black forest, I think. I agree wholly! I have no idea to be honest. I like the traditional ones like vanilla and strawberry anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. was at a baby shower this weekend, tried it again....no bueno!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...